Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc, has a long and proud history of it’s Guide Right Program.
The St. Petersburg Alumni Chapter aligns with the National Guide Right Program, because Guide Right encompasses many of our local youth oriented programs such as mentoring, college preparatory programs, and tutoring. Like the national program the chapters’ flagship initiative is the Guide Right Service Program – Kappa Leadership Development League (Kappa League).
Guide Right is a program focused on the educational and occupational guidance of youth, primarily inspirational and informative in character.
One of the tenants of Kappa Alpha Psi is achievement in every field of human endeavor. The Guide Right Service Program places the training, experience and friendly interest of successful men at the disposal of youth needing guidance, inspiration and counsel regarding their choices in life, career, and to arouse the interest of the entire community in the problems of youth as they seek to become law abiding, educated and contributing members of society.
- Current Guide Right Objectives
- To Create the Next Generation of Leaders via Leadership Development
- Prepare students for college
- Mentor students to college graduation
- To positively impact youth through mentoring and training
- To prepare youth for academic success in middle school, high school and college
- To learn by interaction, doing and group dynamics
- Core Initiatives:
- STEM: Activities include getting involved with NSBE Jr, STE Career Fair, Utilize code.org for free programming training. Microsoft Retail stores offer free STEM training.
- College Success: Mentoring for college. 90% Graduation Rate. Facilitate Undergrad/Alumni partnership for the mentoring
- College Prep Series: Naviance an online tool to assist students in preparing for college; Diamonds in the Rough webinars (DITR); FAFSA Awareness; College Signing Day, recognizing graduating high school seniors going to college.
- Positive Video Reporting – KLTV: Creating positive video recordings of Guide Right achievements
Enhanced Initiatives & Partnerships:
- Virtual College Tours Virtual College Conversations
- Online Leadership Conference STEM Drone Competition & Hackathons
- Diamonds in the Rough Webinars #iamachievement
- #whykappasmentor #guiderightcommunityservice
- National Kappa League Conference Financial Literacy program
Conceived in 1922 by Leon W. Stewart, and suggested at the twelfth Grand Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi, Guide Right became the fraternity’s national service program. Leon Steward is the founder of the National Guide Right movement of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and Past Western Province Polemarch. Soon after the St. Louis Alumni Chapter’s beginning in 1921, Leon W. Steward and J. Jerome Peters were assigned to research possible programs that would assist in developing the youth of the Black community and to devise a “meaningful and practical approach” to the problem of Black youth underachievement.
Ultimately, Brother Steward, proposed a program of guidance to be designated as Guide Right, with the purpose of assisting high school seniors to choose and pursue useful careers. The focus of Guide Right, from its inception, was to provide scholarships to needy and talented students, and to inform young people of the professions and other career options.
The founding objectives of Guide Right may be summarized as follows:
- To help youth in selection of courses leading to vocations compatible with their aptitudes and personalities.
- To assist students while they are in training, to get started in employment, and to progress successfully in their chosen fields.
- To assist parents in the handling of their children by giving them opportunities to talk over their problems with those who know and are successful in their chosen vocations.
- To afford the less fortunate youths a respite from the drudgery of the streets, through sponsored entertainment and cultural enrichment.
To inform youth of the values of higher education, of assistance available for continued educational pursuits.
Your tax deductible donation to the Kappa Alpha Psi Guide Right Foundation of St. Petersburg, Inc, a non-profit 501(c)(3) charity organization, supports our local initiatives, scholarships and programs.